PO BOX 13932
SILVER SPRING, MD 20911
Real Estate Glossary
Our glossary is the largest dictionary of real estate and construction terms on the Internet with almost 10,000 definitions.
- Yankee Screwdriver
- Ratchet type screwdriver that has deep spiral grooves in its shank, which is free to rotate within the handle. By using a pawl in the handle, which rides in the spiral groove so that when the handle is pushed along the shank toward the work, the shank rotates and turns the screw
- Lineal measurement equal to 3 feet. The space or grounds surrounding a building; a cubic yard is the basic measure of concrete.
- Yard Lumber
- The type of lumber used in general frame construction, which is less than 5 inches thick.
- Yarning Iron
- Curved tool for packing oakum into a cast-iron pipe joint that is then sealed with molten lead, it is flattened on one end and made of iron.
- Referred to as a wye connection, this electrical connection has all three coils in a three-phase generator meeting at one point.
- Yellow Hat
- Term for a wire connector, which actually comes in different colors for different sized wires.
- Also called a wye fitting, this plumbing drainage fitting gets its name by being shaped like the letter Y. It is used where a branch enters the run at an angle less than 90 degrees.
- The return on an investment. Volume or amount produced. Alternately, a permanent deformation in a material cause by its being bent or stretched.
- Brace clamped around a form when a concrete column is being poured. Metal mounting strap on an electrical receptacle.
- Also called a head jamb, it's the upper horizontal finish member in a window frame.
- Yoke Lock
- Lock that hold the brace that is clamped around a form when a concrete column is being poured.
- Yoke Vent
- Plumbing pipe, which slants upward at an angle from the waste stack to the vent stack to prevent pressure changes in both stacks.
- Yoke Vise
- Called a hinged pipe vise, this clamping device has a fixed lower jaw and an upper jaw moveable by a screw thread and is hinged on one side so that it can be opened to allow a length of pipe to be inserted.