PO BOX 13932
SILVER SPRING, MD 20911
Real Estate Glossary
Our glossary is the largest dictionary of real estate and construction terms on the Internet with almost 10,000 definitions.
- An thin, adjustable piece of metal which is used to reducing friction and keep moving parts of a machine in place.
- Metal strap to hold parts together.
- Machine part that is fastened with a cotter pin.
- Gift Deed
- A deed for which the consideration is love and affection rather than monetary.
- Cash received from a relative or other source, which is sometimes used to bridge the difference between the sale price of a property and a mortgage. Lenders usually require a "gift letter" guaranteeing that the money need not be repaid.
- Gift Tax
- Federal tax placed on a gift, monetary or property. The tax is based on the appraised value (if other than monetary) at the time of transfer. Under the law, each person may gift up to $10,000 tax free to another person.
- G.I. Loan
- A loan made through the Department of Veteran Affairs.
- G.I. Loan Guarantees
- Home loans backed by the Veterans Administration which issues a 60% loan guarantee for an amount up to $27,500 as a mortgage on a principal residence only and with no down payment.
- Prefix meaning one billion.
- One billion cycles a second.
- Application or overlay of a thin cover of gold.
- Expression used to make something more attractive or valuable than it is.
- A liquid measure equal to ¼ pint in U.S. measurements.
- Trademark of the pure asphalt, which is used in making paint.
- Mounting consisting of one ring inside another that will pivot to permit movement in any direction and is used in items such as compasses where a self-balancing mount is needed.
- Small, boring tool with a T-shaped handle attached to the shaft, which has a spiral, pointed cutting edge on the other end.
- Gin Pole
- Long pole with guy wires and pulleys, which can hoist up and swing around an object being moved and then lower it into a different position.
- Gingerbread Decoration
- Intricate wood trim, showy ornamentation. Ornate trim work on Victorian style homes.
- Ginnie Mae
- Nickname for Government National Mortgage Association. These debt securities have the objective of funding high-risk mortgages for high-risk borrowers, typically in areas approved for government construction projects that have no other funding sources. The government body also buys home loans issued by others, such as commercial banks, mortgage banks, and insurers and, after pooling them together, sells shares to investors. Unlike Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, Ginnie Maes are backed by the United States and thus have a higher credit standing.
- Crossbeam, which supports floor joists. Made of steel, reinforced concrete, or timber, it is designed to support loads at different points along its length. Main structural support beam.
- A heavy beam.
- Corner post of a building using a heavy beam.
- Girt Strip
- Also called a ledger, this horizontal wooden beam is used as a floor joist support when framing is done with one-piece stud, which extend from the foundation to the roof and form the walls of all floors.
- The circumference of anything. The distance around the outside.
- A band around the belly of an animal for holding a saddle or pack.