PO BOX 13932
SILVER SPRING, MD 20911
Real Estate Glossary
Our glossary is the largest dictionary of real estate and construction terms on the Internet with almost 10,000 definitions.
- Rapid back and forth movement.
- Vicarious Liability
- The responsibility of one person for the acts of another.
- Victorian Style
- Architectural style of the mid-19th Century.
- How something is looked at or an opinion.
- What something looks like at a distance.
- An attractive panorama visible from a piece of property.
- A drawing in a set of building plans depicting a structure viewed from a specific angle.
- A plastic formed from ethylene. Used to make a wide variety of building materials including pipes and siding.
- Vinyl-clad Windows
- Wooden windows which are covered, on the outside, in vinyl.
- Vinyl Dual Drip Cap
- Flashing used over windows and doors during vinyl siding installation.
- Vinyl Finishing Trim
- Flashing used under windows during vinyl siding installation.
- Vinyl Flooring
- A relatively inexpensive flooring product made from polyvinyl chloride and sold in large sheets or small tiles.
- Vinyl Siding
- Durable, low maintenance type of exterior siding. Vinyl siding is available in a number of colors and does not require painting.
- An act or condition contrary to the permitted use of a property.
- Virgin Growth
- A naturally occurring area of forest with the original growth of trees intact.
- Virgin Soil
- Undisturbed earth.
- A liquid's resistance to flow. The thickness of a liquid. A high viscosity indicates a thick liquid.
- A mechanism, often mounted on a workbench, that has adjustable jaws used to hold materials in place while work is underway.
- A brand name for a type of locking pliers.
- A particular brand of polyethylene sheet used, in a crawl space, to cover the ground.
- Visual Right
- Occupant's right to see out of a window without being hindered.
- Relating to or involving glass.
- Clay that has been glazed and fired for use as clay pipe.
- Vitrified Clay Pipe
- Pipe made from fired clay, once used for underground drainage. Now largely replaced by PVC pipe.
- The cancellation of a legal contract with no consequences on either party.
- Canceling a check or something that is written.
- Having no legal standing in a matter.
- The absence of matter.
- Voidable Contract
- A contract that may be rejected by either of the parties.
- Subject to rapid and/or unexpected change.
- Volatile Market
- Sudden and unpredictable short term price movements in real estate.
- Unit used to measure electrical force between two points in a circuit. U.S. and Canada usually operate at 120 volts.
- Pressure behind the flow of electricity.
- Voltage Drop
- The loss of voltage in a circuit caused by resistance.
- Voltage Regulator
- A device used to control the voltage in a circuit.
- A device used to measure voltage, used to test batteries and electrical outlets.
- Cubic capacity of a three dimensional object.
- Intensity of sound.
- Voluntary Alienation
- The conveyance of title between two parties or businesses by use of a deed.
- Voluntary Bankruptcy
- The declaration of bankruptcy by an insolvent person or business.
- Voluntary Lien
- Lien that a homeowner gives, willingly, to a lender, such as a mortgage.
- see Variable Rate Mortgage.
- A heating process used to improve the elasticity of rubber.